Monday, March 2, 2009

A Woodshop Full of Saws

In my shop the other day, it suddenly struck me how many saws I own. It's not like I'm obsessive-compulsive collector or pack rat, it's just that over the years they've accumulated.









Why? Because for one thing, of all the woodworking projects and on most of the remodeling contracts I've completed, almost all involved cutting in one form or another. You name it, siding, Hardiplank, fiber cement backer board, mitering baseboards, etc.

I've landed more than one contract through services like Angie's List.

Also, because if you want to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, you have to start with a silk sow. In other words, the way the finished product looks and works depend on all the steps. It's all the summation of the small steps along the way.

In order to yield precise cuts, you have to use the right saw for the job. Sometimes only a coping or a dovetail saw will do, for instance. Or the DeWalt track saw I received a few months ago to do a review of.

Sometimes, it's a beautiful thing to be a freelance writer. I get lots of stuff to write reviews of. Books, tools, gadgets, and more. I only take those assignments if I think it's a quality product.

I'm always impartial, but I'm not going to set out to review something I can tell is junk right out of the starting blocks.

If this keeps up, I'm going to need a bigger shop...

I hope you enjoyed this post read more free tools and woodworking articles at my site.

No comments: