Thursday, March 12, 2009

Time for a Raised Bed Vegetable Garden


It's a cool morning today, but the time of any more freezes are well behind us here. So I spent about an hour planting some more plants in my raised bed vegetable garden.

Sweet basil, lemon basil, lemon balm plants; and some red corn seeds. Already got 5 or so corn stalks that are doing well that I sprouted from seed. I had that many more, but I was a bit too aggressive and a cold snap got them. Argg!

I'm going to take a shot at organic gardening this year. I know, it's a bit more work, but I think it'll pay off.

My asparagus bed is producing well, sending up some nice fat spears; nothing like that skinny nonsense the grocery store carries (at premium prices, I might add). I took an opportunity to plant asparagus crowns about 5 years ago and the bed gets more productive all the time.

A single bed is supposed to last up to 15 years.

Something else I want to do, as Randy Lemon advises, is plant some herb companion plants for pest control. Randy is the Gulf Coast gardening guru.

The reason I planted so much basil is that I'm a nut for homemade pesto sauce. Since I'm amping up my running again, I can justify all the pasta consumption. I used to do a lot of long distance running, but fell by the wayside.

Now, it's time to get back to the old ways. That's what happens as we get older. Some go sedentary, and some don't. I choose not to. And hey, I've got to do something to build up an appetite for the garden harvest!

Visit to Read Free Home Improvement and Repair Articles

No comments: