Sunday, August 10, 2008

How About Those Tankless Water Heaters!


Jeeze, you wouldn't think that in the middle of the Southern summer I'd be concerned about a hot shower. But I am!

Whether I'm lathering up up at the gym or just trying to be a bit more, um, sociable, at home, I really like my hot showers. But did you know that hot water production eats up to 14% of your home utility bills?

Try a Tankless Water Heater

So what the heck can you do about it? Well, you can stop bathing, but I don't think that's going to garner you many fans. Why not cut your losses with a tankless water heater?

These are also known as on-demand or instantaneous water heaters and have long been popular in Europe. Lately they have been getting a wider fan base is North America due to high energy costs.

For the past 30 years or so they have been growing in popularity. Coupled with an alternative energy plan, this option could really save you some similar bucks.

DIY Install or Pro?

Do you want to do the job yourself? Good question. It's not really a hard job but you might get installation for free just for doing the deal. Also, if you are installing a gas-fired water heater, you'll probably need an inspection.

If you can sweat copper pipes (pretty simple for my intrepid DIY readers!) you're on your way. Otherwise, pressure your dealer to install for free. Believe me, if he doesn't want to make the sale, you don't need to be doing business with him!

No comments: