Thursday, August 27, 2009

Finding a Roof Leak



Roof leaks can be frustrating. The good news is that you don't have to call in a roofing contractor right away to find it. As long as you're handy and don't have a fear of going on your roof, go for it!

ExitJunction.com  - Make Money From Your Exit Traffic!Different roofers and handymen have their own methods for finding roof leaks. Myself, I like to start at the bottom and work up. In other words, I begin my sleuth work by examining the ceiling inside the home.

This can give valuable, time-saving clues. If the stain evidence is close to the chimney or a skylight, chances are it's a flashing issue. I'll check in the attic to make sure. If so, it's an easy fix to replace the flashing, or just slather on some roofing cement. It all depends on the particular situation.

If it's not that obvious from first glance inside the home, I fall back on my steps for finding a roof leak. Being methodical is key.



Don't get me wrong. I am not a roofer. I'd rather take a whipping than do a tear-off and re-roof. I did it once and that was it for me. Then again, I love to tape and float drywall and paint. Those two things will make most roofers gag!

If you don't want to do the investigative work and repair yourself, be careful in picking your contractor or handyman. Sometimes, tracking down the actual leak is an art form because for the hard ones, you really have to know framing structure and the mechanics of shingles, flashing, etc.

Prior experience is invaluable. After a few years of doing this detective work, a real sense of "Oh, I remember how I solved this one before," intuition is developed. And if you're paying by the hour, this is important.

If you have to hire someone, I recommend Angie's List. highly. Their ratings come only from feedback from homeowners in your community, not simply a claim in the phone book or newspaper.

Did this post help you? If so, get more. Just email me at subscribe@icanfixupmyhome.com. In the body of the email, give me your name. Then you'll get an automatic email that asks you to confirm your subscription.

Be sure to add listserv@icanfixupmyhome.com to your email white list or address book, because some email clients will put unknown mail in the junk or spam filter file.

Visit to Read Free Home Improvement and Repair Articles

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That was a very helpful article. The article gave some good tips on how to find and repair a leak on the roof. Having roof leaks can be a problem especially when there are appliance below the roof leak.

xPert said...
This comment has been removed by the author.