Saturday, May 16, 2009

Finished Installing Radiant Barrier foil in the Attic!


My goal was to finish all my penny-pinching efforts in the attic before the summer really slammed us. And I did it! About three years ago I sprayed radiant barrier paint on the underside of the roof decking. But it was already hot. Boy, did I learn my lesson.

In this book shown on the left, the author goes into why we should take the lead in transforming America to be more energy efficient and develop alternate energy sources. He explains it in a short video that you can see if you click on it.

I won't get into a political discussion about greenhouse gasses here. I'm all about saving money on utility bills and boosting my home equity.

You see, after I did the painting, I noticed an immediate drop in my power usage from the central air conditioner. Being an insatiable fellow, and frugal, I wanted more.

Research indicated that the paint will stop between 10% - 75% of radiant heat from getting into the attic in the first place. The foil, applied to the attic floor, stops 97%. So, is my math off, or is the interior of my home being protected from about 150%? Just joking, I'm not a dolt!

I used Energy Q foil, the best on the market. This is the same stuff NASA uses. In addition to the foil, I also beefed up the attic insulation. In for a dime, in for a dollar, I always say. Do it right the first time.

There's a narrow window of opportunity between the income tax refund and the sweltering heat. I wanted to do it this year because part of the economic stimulus package is higher tax credits.

Have you gone over this energy efficiency checklist to see where you could be saving money. When Cap and Trade kicks in, energy prices are going up, up, up.

So now that I'm done, I'm going to go running, and then it's time to kick back and chill. Literally.


Visit to Read Free Home Improvement and Repair Articles

No comments: